I started reading comics. Again. I took a year off. Keep in mind, when I read comics before, I meant daily, newspaper style political cartoons. I would really have loved being a political cartoonist, but I am just not partisan enough to be an effective political cartoonist. I’ve taken loads of those political surveys to plot where I am politically and I always come out a centrist with slight libertarian tendencies.
Yeah, it didn’t make sense to me either. The biggest problem is I gave up when the Republicans decided to nominate Trump and Clinton looked inevitable. I couldn’t believe our country would nominate the two least qualified people to be president.
Please, I don’t want to argue.
So, I’ve had a reset. I’m reading new comics by artists I’ve never read before and it’s a hard journey. I do not find pleasure in the comics I used to read daily (except Bug Martini). So I’ve had to re-examine the types of comics I want to read and also produce. As of today, I’ve published two comics and scheduled another, but I deleted one of the comics and am quite nervous about the other two comics. I have the same problems with what I’m producing and what I am trying to find to read.
This sucks, but I would love suggestions.
What am I looking for? Ummm:
- Non-political. I’m looking for something that isn’t political. This, of course, is impossible, but I would like if politics rarely, if ever, comes up. I do know the cartoonist’s politics will always bleed/leech through, but I would like politics not to be the subject of the comic.
- No Porn. I’m looking for something where sex isn’t important. This is not impossible, but I need to be clear, I’d like a comic where the gender identity, gender demographics, and sexual preferences and habits of the comic characters is unimportant to the direction of the comic.
- No RPGs. I’m looking for something where old D&D/Pathfinder campaigns are not rehashed in even the most interesting of ways. I play Pathfinder and started playing D&D back when D&D books came with staple binding. I love the game, but RPG comics are beat to death and generally boring.
- No Super People/Things. I’m looking for something where superheroes might exist, but just have no bearing on the characters involved. I hate spandex. I hate mutants. I hate powered people. The metaphor is boring, over-wrought, and cliche.
- Non Fiction (-ish). I’m looking for memoir, journalistic, and educational comics respecting the above requirements even if they incorporate some fiction elements.